Tuesday, January 12, 2010


I have been brought to a place of examining what I believe to be true thanks to a conversation with a man on another post at this blog.
http://indefenseofthegospel.blogspot.com/2009/11/al-mohler-signs-manhattan-declaration.html
I believe the word of God to be true...truth...the only truth. I blew off the controversy surrounding the signing of the Manhattan Declaration. I read it, listened to things that were said about the concerns of signing and when it was delivered into my inbox I deleted it without signing. When the names came out of those who DID sign I admit that I was shocked. There were names on there that I just didn't think would be there. OK, I was shocked, I listened to what was said about what they did and then put it away. I read very few articles on why so and so signed and why so and so didn't sign. I just knew that I couldn't and that was good enough for me. NOW, I am confronted with this: the brethren that signed the document went against scripture (2cor 6:14 ) they were admonished by men such as John MacArthur http://www.shepherdsfellowship.org/pulpit/Posts.aspx?ID=4444...they didn't repent so they are still in disobedience...do we fellowship with these men? And what does that fellowship look like? The real question was about men (who didn't sign and did admonish) attending a conference with these men that signed. Can I just say that I don't have to worry about it because I am not attending with them and the choice is up to the men in question?
I can only say right now that I am looking to the fact that these men do not offer a false gospel. They do not teach a false gospel and I have found no reason to cut them off because of their sin. Again, I cannot break fellowship that I do not have to begin with. But would one go so far as to say that I couldn't listen to the teachings of these people? Or that I would have to disassociate from men that associate with these men? Where am I left in the fallout of this signing? I was trying to ignore it and not be affected. I do not know the heart of these people. I have read very little of why they felt it was OK to do what they did. I do not believe any of them came out and said they agree with Catholic doctrine and have made it very clear that they in fact were signing in spite of the differences. Did they make a mistake. Yes, they did. I have made many mistakes that the Lord has forgiven me for. Some of those mistakes have permanent consequences. Names cannot be unsigned.....I just have to say that I have been forgiven MUCH. I have to forgive MUCH. I have to let the Lord lead me in this situation. I cant just read arguments and pick a side. I have to be in prayer. I am grieved even thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. I do not know how to insert links so you will have to copy and paste..LM: if you are reading this, feel free to put the links here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessed:

    I appreciate the sincerity with which you have expressed your heart above. Following are the links to the series of articles on the Manhattan Declaration, its evangelical signatories, what this means to the Gospel and the Scriptural response.


    Al Mohler Signs the Manhattan Declaration...

    Al Mohler Signs the Manhattan Declaration: Was This a First Time Foray Toward Ecumenism?

    Al Mohler Signs TMD: Tolerance & Compromise Will, in its Wake, Leave Casualties

    Are We Recognizing the "New" New Evangelicalism?

    ReplyDelete