Monday, January 4, 2010

"Gain"


Today was another eventful day in the life of our family. It has been a season of changes in our lives as of late but today was a new chapter. Our daughter Devan was married to Kyle Brown today. To be honest I was torn between hoping it would fall through, that she would get cold feet, to me putting a stop to this perceived mistake. So many thoughts have ran through my mind: Is this man good enough for my daughter? Will he be a good provider for her and my future grandchildren. After all, he really seems a little immature for being twenty-one, not to mention the perceived immaturity of my daughter, Devan. I guess I hoped for some reason that this day marked on the calendar would go away on its own, kinda like at times when I knew a cavity was forming yet I hoped that it would miraculously heal itself if ignored long enough.
All the talks have taken place between Kyle and myself; Kyle, Devan, Mom and me; and just me and Devan. Oh how these talks would have been so much better if they were believers. God has not chosen , as of now, to open their eyes to the truth of the gospel. They were to be married a few days earlier but there was a waiting period they weren't aware of. I thought for sure, here it is, the sign that this was going to fall through. Fast forward a few days and here we are. They're married. I thank God for giving us a few more days with both of them before they were married, which afforded us a few more talks. How thankful my wife and I were for these days.
Devan has been living with us and Kyle has been staying in our home this past week awaiting this day. As everyone was getting ready for the ceremony today the bride to be had the crowd of family and friends assisting her while upstairs Kyle was dressing alone. My wife made the very wise observation that Kyle was alone and maybe he could use some help. I took the advice of such a wise woman and went upstairs to check. When I knocked on the door and he let me in, I saw a very nervous young man who definitely needed some company. All the ill thoughts I had of Kyle flooded in on me. I was convicted and ashamed of myself. I saw a young man who was created in the image of God, so nervous that he couldn't finish buttoning his dress blues, the very buttons that he bragged about being able to button in two minutes with one hand. He had such a struggle that it was impossible to do because he was shaking and afraid. You see, as all of us were downstairs with the bride to be, the groom was all alone. He had no friends or family to share his fears and uncertainty with. He had traveled thousands of miles from his ship to wed the love of his life, my daughter, Devan. So from this moment in time that will be forever etched in my memory. I found myself unworthy of buttoning this mans buttons. I found myself a little taken aback in this moment. I was not buttoning the buttons of someone who was taking my daughter, I was helping the future son that I was gaining. No, not a loss today, but a gain.
We have gained a new son.
They had no big wedding. Neither we nor they could afford one. They were married in a simple ceremony in the local county courthouse. No, it wasn't a shotgun wedding. At times I felt myself embarrassed when speaking with other people and telling them they were getting hitched at the courthouse thinking, "are they wondering if she is pregnant?" How wicked of me to think someone was thinking such things and how wicked if they were. I would have loved to have given my daughter a huge, expensive wedding. I often thought they should they wait until we could give them a "proper" wedding. They would have none of it. A big wedding was not at all important to them. As I ponder that issue I think maybe they are right. Why spend money you do not have or go into debt to finance a "proper" wedding? After all, the money spent on some weddings could finance the national debt of a small country.
Well, Kyle will be heading back to the west coast to board his ship to head off to Hawaii without his new bride. She will remain here and eagerly wait for his return. I cant help but think about the parallels to the gospel and the symbolism used to refer to Christ and His bride, the church, as I have found in a day like today. How could I have doubted the sovereign plan of our heavenly Father? You see, ultimately this day was ordained, yes, Kyle and Devan were meant to be together. It was Gods plan. It was meant for my wife and I to gain a son today. I don't know what the future holds for these two. Oh, how I hope and pray for their salvation. May we continue to shine light into their lives with the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
To God be the Glory!
Nolan

5 comments:

  1. Nolan, what an incredible revelation. Instead of giving into peer presure of stopping the union, which I do not think you had the righ to stop. Instead of railing at the young man. In love and paticiance you let God show you his pressence to the point where you felt unworthy to button the boy uniform. Who knows what this union will this mariage will bring but God. But I will say this in just one day of its conception it has already brought you (and I in being blessed to just hear about it) closer to the Lord in your walk. Priase glory and honor be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nolan, this brought tears to my eyes. You and Melissa just continue to love those kids and pray for them and trust in the Lord with ALL of your heart. Remember that if we being evil know how to give good gifts to our children, how MUCH MORE our heavenly Father gives good gifts to those who ask Him.

    Thank you for sharing your heart and the tenderness that the Lord has granted to you towards Kyle. Love covers a multitude of sins. I pray you will show Kyle the love of Christ by being his "daddy" until the time when Kyle becomes a new creation in Christ and then call upon God as his very own Abba, Father.

    Please know that I am so thankful to the Lord for bringing your family into my life. Every good gift is from above, and I know our friendship is a gift from the hand of our merciful and loving God.

    I will be praying for Devan and Kyle.
    Much love in Christ, Angela :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie,
    Thank you so much for the talk we had the other day as we sat on your back porch. I really value those conversations we have. I thank God for those face to face conversations. That is why fellowship with other believers is so important.
    You just can't get that across the internet. Galatians 6:2 comes to mind. It is because of our sinful pride that we feel we can't share our most deepest fears and concerns with other brothers and sisters in Christ. The friendship of you and Lori, what can I say, It is "GAIN".

    Angela,
    Thank you for your kind words. We alo thank God for you and your family as well. Thank you for your friendship with Melissa, I know she values it very much. Thank you for your prayers.God has so blessed us with meeting you and your family, again I say it is "GAIN".

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is absolutely nothing I can add that we havent already talked (cried) about! We have so much to learn each day and we can only do that by listening to the Spirit of the Lord as He guides and directs us. Sometimes we think we know so much that our eyes are closed to any leading that He could do in our life. These past few months have shown me (us) that as long as we follow what we know the Lord is leading us into then we have nothing to fear. He is truly blessing our lives and He is in control. I love you so very much.
    To God be the Glory.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,
    May we allow the Holy Spirit to help us guide Kyle with biblical advice these last few days before he leaves. May we continue to live out we believe in front of both of them. May we show the love and compassion Christ did to those who did not believe. May we "LIVE" the gospel.

    With never ending love
    Your much blessed husband

    ReplyDelete