Monday, December 26, 2011

Why Do I Use Facebook?

Why do I use facebook?  Well, for me I sure "try" not to use it to post messages and musings about myself and others. No, there is nothing sinful if that is what you do. I am certainly sure that in the not so distant past and in the near future I will and have fallen victim to what I am "trying" to avoid.  Overuses of morally neutral items that most often slide in the direction of subtle and often blatant idolatry is something that as a  fallen  creature I will have to unfortunately deal with until my heavenly father calls me home, I'm sure. I primarily set out to use facebook kinda like a form of ministry tool. I don't know about you but some of the "friends" that the wife and I have on  our combined friend list are under the wrath of God and are lost. Some of those "friends" that profess Christ are actually following unbiblical doctrines or even maybe even false heretical doctrine. For me, the idea that we have a platform to promote the gospel, sound doctrine and a place to edify the saints as well as promote a Christian Worldview to those who are on our "friend" list is very appealing to me. For me  this is the most God honoring way to use this medium.

I have seen our use of facebook with this ministry mindset put in action successfully and effectively promoting the areas listed above. I find it difficult in the idea of separating and compartmentalising my media usage. Maybe a  John Piperism or a C.J. Mahaneyism would be useful here..."don't waste your media" is what I'm thinking. There are some really good discussion groups that tackle some important  issues facing us in this Christian Pilgrimage. 
Quite frankly I have been greatly edified in a place I least expected. I guess I am saying that you really can get meaningful spiritual content from Facebook. I have seen some really good articles posted there. I hope that never stops. What is also interesting to note is that the cults and false teachers see the value of this and other social media. Here is an article that was 
written by  a Mormon church elder encouraging members to promote their heresy via social media and Internet......http://lds.org/ensign/2008/07/sharing-the-gospel-using-the-internet?lang=eng.

here also......http://ldswhy.com/qa/how-can-i-share-the-gospel-using-facebook/

With Ecclesiastes 9:10 in mind, as you type your comments or update your status

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going. ( ESV)

I leave you with the commentary of this verse by Matthew Henry

Whatsoever thy hand finds to do do it with thy might. Observe here, (1.) There is not only something to be had, but something to be done, in this life, and the chief good we are to enquire after is the good we should do, Ecclesiastes 2:3. This is the world of service; that to come is the world of recompense. This is the world of probation and preparation for eternity; we are here upon business, and upon our good behaviour. (2.) Opportunity is to direct and quicken duty. That is to be done which our hand finds to do, which occasion calls for; and an active hand will always find something to do that will turn to a good account. What must be done, of necessity, our hand will here find a price in it for the doing of, Proverbs 17:16. (3.) What good we have an opportunity of doing we must do while we have the opportunity, and do it with our might, with care, vigour, and resolution, whatever difficulties and discouragements we may meet with in it. Harvest-days are busy days; and we must make hay while the sun shines. Serving God and working out our salvation must be done with all that is within us, and
 all little enough. (4.) There is good reason why we should work the works of him that sent us while it is day, because the night comes, wherein no man can work, John 9:4. We must up and be doing now with all possible diligence, because our doing-time will be done shortly and we know not how soon. But this we know that, if the work of life be not done when our time is done, we are undone for ever: "There is no work to be done, nor device to do it, no knowledge for speculation, nor wisdom for practice, in the grave whither thou goest." We are all going towards the grave; every day brings us a step nearer to it; when we are in the grave it will be too late to mend the errors of life, too late to repent and make our peace with God, too late to lay up any thing in store for eternal life; it must be done now or never. The grave is a land of darkness and silence, and therefore there is no doing any thing for our souls there; it must be done now or never, John 12:35

No comments:

Post a Comment