Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sanctified By The Truth Of Sound Doctrine

But now I come to You; and these things I speak in the world so that they may have My joy made full in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.


Verse 17
Finally, Jesus prayed that the disciples would be "sanctified by the truth". Falsehood corrupts us. The fall of the human race began with a lie, with a distortion of the truth. It began with a false doctrine that came through the message of a Serpent from hell, and since that day, every time the truth is negotiated, compromised, denied, and weakened, our corruption gets worse and worse. The only thing that rescues you from yourself or myself is a true understanding of God, a true understanding of Christ, a true understanding of our hope less condition, and a true understanding of grace. The truth redeems. The truth preserves. The truth makes us free.The truth makes us holy. Jesus understood that, and in the agony of His intercession, He prayed that His disciples might be people of the truth.

R. C. Sproul
St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary: John

No comments:

Post a Comment