Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Loophole Christianity?


Definition,
loophole: a means of escape; especially : an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded

ambiguity: an expression whose meaning cannot be determined from its context



As I look at the above definition of loophole, I realize that I have been guilty at times of trying to find these so called loopholes or ambiguities of scripture to help support some pet sin or even something more sinister, the propping up of some false irrational explanation of scripture. If we are to hold to the sufficiency of scripture these so called loopholes simply put, "just do not exist". After all scripture is it's own best interpreter as we the believer are empowered by the Holy Spirit ( 2 Timothy 3:16). I am not talking about some vague theological construct such as the rapture timing and the millennial reign of Christ.

All false religions and cults are not only guilty of misinterpreting scripture, but guilty of searching for a "loophole" or ambiguity in scripture to support their methodology and demonic doctrine. They hope to find a way to wiggle around certain orthodox essentials, that if they were to accept, would after all make them "orthodox". The fact that their is a such thing as false doctrine and heresy shows the extreme effort man, inspired by Satan, will use to try to get to God through a loophole. Unaided by the Holy Spirit and by creating a God of ones own imagination.(John 10:1)

The "professing" christian that is so close to the truth and yet finds himself searching for the so called loopholes and ambiguities in scripture, the purposeful systematic approach of hunting down and misapplying scripture to suit his/her own design and fancy, finds themselves not far removed from the false religions. Remember that those who teach doctrine are held to a stricter judgement. (James 3:1) I think at times in our Christian life we unknowingly stumble in that direction.
So, what are some of these so called loopholes and ambiguities that "professing" Christians most often find themselves looking for or even attracted to?

1. A gospel of no Repentance? Saved with no changed life?

2. Doctrine and theology are not important only the gospel matters.

3. There is no need for Christians to go to church, I go only when I feel like it, God doesn't
mind.

4. The fellowship of other believers is really not that vital.

5. Watching or listening to certain media is a choice, after all it is a "gray" area.

6. Sharing the gospel with others is not really for me, after all scripture does
say that only some have the gift of evangelism.

7. My friend is in a false religion, it is not my place to say something to him.

8. My friend who is a christian is in obvious open sin but I am not to judge him, after all we
all sin as Christians anyway.

9. I am to live this christian life to the fullest suffering is not in the plan or will of God for me?

10. Just showing up for church on Sunday is good enough, I don't need to be involved in the life
my church.

I am sure there are many more that can be added to this list. But, for now I want to explore these a lil deeper in future posts.

Nolan

No comments:

Post a Comment