Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Delight of Duty


The nature and depth of human pride are illuminated by comparing boasting to self- pity. Both are manifestations of pride. Boasting is the response of pride to success. Self-pity is the response of pride to suffering. Boasting says,"I deserve admiration because I have achieved so much." Self-pity says,"I deserve admiration because I have suffered so much." Boasting is the voice of pride in the heart of the strong. Self-pity is the voice of pride in the weak. Boasting sounds self sufficient and self-pity sounds self sacrificing. Self-pity doesn't come from a sense of unworthiness but from a sense of unrecognized worthiness. It is the response to unapplauded pride.
When suffering is accepted for the sake of joy there will be no self-pity. Matthew5:11-12

God hates pride.

I read this in a small book written by John Piper on delighting in the Lord. The title of the book is : The Dangerous Duty of Delight. Alot of people do not like that word duty when associated with our christian walk. As if to say that they are always delighted to do what is asked of them. As if they never struggle the way that Paul struggled in Romans and the way that all Christians will struggle at times. Actually, I say "asked of them" but the truth is, we are commanded to do things. We are commanded to feel things. That's another word that isn't liked by some. Jesus says in Luke17:10 "So, likewise, when you have done all those things which you are commanded say, "we are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do".
Boy, that would make some people mad if Christ had not been the one to say it! I can hear it now, "why do you act as if we are commanded to do things, we should just want to do them!" Why do you say its your duty? Do you not love Christ! You shouldn't say you have a duty but a joyous desire!" As if the joy they have in serving the Lord has been mustered up in their own strength. As if all things they have received has not been given to them. Boasting in the love they have. Pride.

The truth is that we are commanded and we have a duty and we are commanded to delight in that duty. "Rejoice in the Lord always".... So what does this mean if the cheerfulness is not there? Does this mean you aren't saved? Does it mean that you have no love? NO! Confess the sin of joylessness...Psalm 61:2 my heart is faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I"...pray that God would restore the joy of obedience...Psalm40:8, I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart and get on with doing your duty in the hope that the Lord will restore your delight.

2 comments:

  1. When I read it I was thinking how together, we had both sides of pride covered, did we not?

    It will surely remind me when I start sliding that way again!

    ReplyDelete