Thursday, March 31, 2011

I love Cats!!!!!!

Recently I finished reading a book by Kevin DeYoung entitled, The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism. What a great read! The book is about the Heidelberg Catechism.


DeYoung, through this book, and his explanation of the catechism  has afforded me a great tool to help me catechise my children using the Heidelberg cat. Not growing up in a christian family nor a reformed confessional church, any catechism, in my mind, was always associated with the Roman Catholic church.
 Having grown up in a community that was Roman Catholic to the core, I found myself from time to time in a catechism class or two.

I am a little late to the catechism thing. But, "better late than never" as they say. What great and rich doctrinal truths are packed into the Heidelberg as well as the Westminster Shorter cat. What a joy and great privilege it is to catechise my children.

Get the book! Read the book! Kevin DeYoung does a great job of breaking down and explaining the catechism in a concise way while not watering down, with the risk of  losing the great truths that are contained within the cat.

Here is a great quote in the book about the gospel. What a gem!!!!

"My own efforts to be a good person are, in comparison to what God requires of me, positively miserable. I'll be damned, discouraged, and dismayed if being a follower of Jesus means nothing but a new set of things I'm supposed to do for Him. Instead, my following Jesus should be, first of all a declaration of all that He has done for me".

No comments:

Post a Comment