Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saved

What can I say? The cross has been on mind as of late. I have been dwelling on Christ’s sacrifice and our unworthiness of it. He died for us when we were yet sinners. When we were yet SINNERS! We were damaged goods, totally depraved, since the fall of Adam. We cannot keep the commandments. We all fall short (Romans 3:23). Imagine sacrificing yourself for refuse, garbage, toilet paper. God would have been just to let us give Him glory in our eternal torment and damnation. A just God cannot and must not let unrighteousness go unpunished. So, judgment He decreed….on Himself in our stead! He looked on His and said, “Here let me take your filth and you can have my righteousness.” So, on the cross he WILLINGLY went. He gave His life, no one stole it. As I read Matthew 27, the account of the crucifixion, I am forced to realize, with eyes spiritually pried open, that I, in my sin, would not have been among those who weeped for Christ, but I would be among the scoffers, mockers, and abusers. Every time I fall short, every time the pride of life, lust of the eyes, and lust of the flesh fill me and I succumb to their impulses, I spit at His sacrifice. It is me who Christ was speaking about when he said, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” And here is the kicker of it all, He knew how I would hurt Him from the foundations of the Earth and the beginnings of time itself and He still went willing to the cross to save me. All of His children’s sins were paid in full when he said, “It is finished” and gave up the ghost. I bring nothing to the table when it comes to my salvation expect my wretchedness. With this mindset, I can no longer say that “I gave my life to Christ.” as though it was mine to give, for this pride now stings me. I can only say, “Jesus SAVED me.” I am only just now understanding what it means to be, “saved.” Only now do I begin to grasp the concept of, “Jesus loves me.” I do not think the full extent of His love will be revealed to me on this side of eternity. It is just too deep for me to get, still having the flesh a part of me. All I can say is, “Thank you, Lord”

1 comment: